HackerRank - Merge the Tools! Solution
Consider the following:
- A string, s , of length n where s = c0c1...cn-1.
- An integer, k , where k is a factor of n.
We can split s into n/k subsegments where each subsegment, ti , consists of a contiguous block of characters in . Then, use each to create string such that:
- The characters in are a subsequence of the characters in .
- Any repeat occurrence of a character is removed from the string such that each character in occurs exactly once. In other words, if the character at some index in occurs at a previous index in , then do not include the character in string .
Given and , print lines where each line denotes string .
The first line contains a single string denoting .
The second line contains an integer, , denoting the length of each subsegment.
- , where is the length of
- It is guaranteed that is a multiple of .
Print lines where each line contains string .
AB CA AD
String is split into equal parts of length . We convert each to by removing any subsequent occurrences non-distinct characters in :
We then print each on a new line.
Solution in Python
def merge_the_tools(string, k): for i in range(0,len(string), k): #slice string upto k characters line = string[i:i+k] seen = set() for i in line: #only print if we haven't already seen this character if i not in seen: print(i,end="") seen.add(i) #prints a new line print() if __name__ == '__main__': string, k = input(), int(input()) merge_the_tools(string, k)
Below solution is less efficient
def merge_the_tools(string, k): for i in range(0,len(string), k): line = string[i:i+k] new = "" for i in line: if i not in new: new+=i print(new) string, k = input(), int(input()) merge_the_tools(string, k)